For me, a relationship gets better as time goes by. I look at new lovers and adore the freshness of their relationship. But a long term relationship can be fresh and new with just a slight change of attitude too.
A facebook friend asked me to write this list as inspiration to think in a different way – I’m really glad she asked. I think it helped me the most.
A LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP IS FULL OF “FIRSTS”
- the first time we told a stranger about the most exciting thing we did together,
- the first time I stopped reminding him of his weakness and started talked about his strengths instead,
- first book of his positive aspects that I filled to the brim,
- first time I gave him what he’s been asking for unconditionally,
- first time we decided to change the story we’d been telling,
- first time we re-wrote our wedding vows to be the way we really wanted them,
- first time I stopped expecting our relationship to be perfect,
- first time we told the kids the naughty things we did,
- first time we spent hours talking about the great memories we’d made,
- first time we shared a new sexual fantasy,
- the first time we stopped in the middle of harsh words and put a hand on each other’s heart instead,
- the first time we pledged to be true to ourselves,
- the first time we allowed the other to break a rule without any consequences,
- the first time we decided to pretend that we were even more in love than ever.